A Guide to Seasonal Shopping in Downtown Memphis
You read the title of this blog correctly. Downtown Memphis now has one of the most vibrant grocery stores with a vibe that mirrors the culture of Memphis. We are excited to take you on a journey through the beauty of shopping seasonally, especially as we transition into the crisp and cozy days of fall and winter. At our store, we believe in embracing the rhythms of the seasons and are here to guide you on how to shop seasonally.
Why Shop Seasonally?
- Freshness and Flavor: You are guaranteed the freshest, most flavorful produce and ingredients when you shop seasonally. Fall and winter bring an assortment of vegetables such as squash, sweet potatoes, and yummy herbs add to those veggies.
- Variety and Inspiration: Seasonal shopping encourages culinary creativity. As the temperatures drop, you’ll find inspiration in warming soups, hearty stews, and festive desserts. Explore new recipes and cooking techniques with readily available seasonal ingredients.
- Support Local Farmers: By choosing seasonal items, you are supporting local farmers and producers in the Memphis area. This not only strengthens the local economy but also ensures that you get produce grown with care and love.
- Environmental Benefits: Seasonal shopping is environmentally responsible. By opting for produce that is in season, you reduce the carbon footprint associated with transporting items from farther away.
- Better for Your Health: Eating fruits and vegetables grown in your local area and in season can significantly reduce exposure to harmful pesticides and preservatives. By consuming locally grown produce, you can enjoy fresh and flavorful fruits and vegetables free from harmful chemicals and additives. Additionally, you will be supporting your local farmers and promoting sustainable agriculture practices.
- More Nutrient Dense: Picking fruits and vegetables before they ripen means they don’t get enough time to develop all their nutrients. Once harvested, they stop getting the sunshine they need to grow, so their nutrients cannot continue to evolve. It is therefore recommended to consume foods that are closer to their harvest time as they are more nutrient-dense. For instance, a study showed that broccoli grown during peak season had higher vitamin C levels than when it was grown in spring.
- Cost Effective: Of all the reasons to shop seasonally, getting a better bang for your buck is always lovely, especially with grocery store prices rising. Eating seasonally is a money saver. Produce that is more abundant in peak season subsequently costs less for farmers to supply to you, which means the savings trickle down to the customer.
Embracing Fall and Winter Flavors
Shopping seasonally is a culinary adventure and an opportunity to connect with your community and the environment. We invite you to embrace the flavors of fall and winter with us, your neighborhood grocery store. Our store is located at 135 Webster Avenue in the South Main area of downtown. We hope you will make us your fresh, local, and eclectic grocery shopping choice, and let’s savor the seasons together.